It was Mr’s birthday this week, usually that would have had us busy in the kitchen making a delicious birthday cake – layers of vanilla sponge and fluffy buttercream icing topped with strawberries or something along those lines. However, after our weekend away where we (mostly me) indulged a little too much at the incredible dessert counter, we are on a bit of a healthy eating campaign this week so cake is strictly off the menu.
But you can’t have a birthday without cake so the munchkins put together an alternative cake to present to their daddy while singing happy birthday. Delicious layers of rainbow coloured Duplo Lego blocks, topped with a flaming candle no less! Monkey was chuffed with his efforts and presented it to his daddy at least three times during the day with multiple renditions (and versions) of the happy birthday song. He even served us up a little block each which we had to pretend to eat, apparently the green layer is particularly delicious!
We love Lego Duplo in our house and it’s amazing how much learning the little ones are inadvertently doing during a fun Lego session when you think about it. We started with colour sorting the bricks into piles ready to make our layers and then used problem solving and maths skills to come up with configurations of bricks to make the exact square of the cake. And of course singing happy birthday is a lesson in music and language as well as a performance art!
There are loads of Lego Duplo and Lego activity ideas on the internet. Here are some links to just 10 of the many Lego Duplo activities I plan to try with Monkey (and Missy when she’s a little older):
1. Match the Lego Duplo Bricks free printable from www.learning4kids.net – I plan to print these out and then laminate them so we can keep them in the Lego box.
2. Colour Block Puzzles from www.pleasantestthing.com
3. Lego Picture Puzzles from www.icanteachmychild.com – I love this, why not use pictures of family members and loved ones back home so you can incorporate them in your daily play.
4. Printable Lego Duplo Number Cards and 5 ways to play with them from www.learnwithplayathome.com – Another set for the laminator.
5. Roll and Build Lego Duplo Math Game from www.notimeforflashcards.com – We have two giant die that would be perfect for this game.
6. Roll a Rainbow from www.notimeforflashcards.com – This is one of my favourite websites for activity ideas for kids.
7. Building Numbers free poster printable from www.lego.com – The poster would look great in any playroom even when you are not playing Lego.
8. Lego Zip Line Homemade Toy by www.littlebinsforlittlehands.com – This looks like so much fun, I think Monkey would love it!
9. DIY Duplo Lego Monsters Building Set from www.frugalfun4boys.com – I don’t see any reason why this idea should be just for boys, girls would love it just as much.
10. Lego Duplo Alphabet Mats free mats from www.freehomeschooldeals.com
I could go on and on listing links for cool Lego Duplo activities but I’m sure you are all as capable as me of searching the internet and Pinterest so these are just a few to get you started. If you need to bulk up your collection of Lego Duplo, you can find sets in all good toy stores and even supermarkets, I keep having to resist buying some everytime I go to get groceries. There is also the Lego shop and play pop up store at Box Park for a limited time only.
Are your kids Lego fans? What games and activities do you like doing with Lego Duplo? Leave me a comment below, I would love to hear from you!